Wildlife Travel with a Side of Adventure
Updated February 19, 2019
Incorporating outdoor sports that range from hiking to snorkeling, these wildlife travel tours are perfect for the active wildlife enthusiast. Learning opportunities abound as you explore the open ocean, mountains, rainforest, and other stunning environments, viewing wildlife in their natural habitat, with the assistance of multi-talented, naturalist guides. In addition to offering tips on how to navigate Alaska’s coastal waters by sea kayak or stealthily trek the Amazon rainforest, experienced guides will educate you on local culture, flora and fauna. It’s a hands-on, thrill-packed learning experience – perfect for the adventurous at heart.
In addition to offering tips on how to navigate Alaska’s coastal waters by sea kayak or stealthily trek the Amazon rainforest, experienced guides will educate you on local culture, flora and fauna. It’s a hands-on, thrill-packed learning experience – perfect for the adventurous at heart.
As always, proceeds from these tours support local conservation efforts at your destination, while tour operators, lodging, meals, and other services are locally sourced in order to strengthen local economies and promote sustainable tourism. In short, you can enjoy a spectacular adventure while doing your part to support wildlife conservation.
The following five trips are our most popular adventure tours; you can also browse our full selection of adventure tours on our website.
- Glaciers and Grizzlies: Delve into the coastal rainforest habitat of Southern Alaska as you explore the shoreline of Glacier Bay and the rugged wilderness of Denali National Park, home of North America’s tallest peak. Hike through thick old growth in search of bears and other wildlife, and view calving glaciers and whales by boat. This 11-day trip starts at $7,500 per person.
- Nicaragua Wildlife Adventure: Venture into Nicaragua’s rich cultural history, rural villages, and stunning natural landscapes by foot, bike, and kayak on this family-friendly tour. You will explore key sea turtle nesting beaches, rainforest, volcanic craters, and peaks, as well as colonial architecture and vibrant towns. Starting at $2,850, this 9-day trip will give you more than your money’s worth.
- Peru Andes and Amazon Expedition: Departing from Cusco, you’ll travel from the high mountains of the cloud forest to the lush Amazon basin. Along the way, you’ll see the incredible contrasts between the various ecosystems of Peru. Visit a wetland filled with local and migrant waterfowl, then cross the Cusco Valley and Paucartambo Valley. Watch for the gorgeous panorama of cloud forest and mountains with the lowland rainforest below. Starting at $2,260, this 6-day trip will be action-packed with memories.
- Yellowstone Wildlife Safari: Explore one of the world’s first and most famous National Parks, Yellowstone, as well as its gorgeous neighbor, Grand Teton National Park. On wheels and on foot, you will seek out wildlife ranging from wolves and bears to bison and elk. Stops at stunning geothermal landmarks including Old Faithful and the Midway Geyser Basin and views of soaring peaks will complete your experience. This 7-day trip starts at $4,995 per person.
- Whale Sharks and Turtles of the Yucatan: Experience the highlights of the region known as the Mexican Riviera. Swim with whale sharks, the largest species of fish in the world; walk sea turtle nesting beaches; tour the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve; and explore the Mayan ruins of Tulum. Opportunities to enjoy world-class beaches and soak in cultural experiences also abound. This incredible 6-day experience starts at $4,095 per person.
No matter the sport, the species, or the region you wish to experience, you’ll find ample adventure and support conservation efforts with these eye-opening wildlife travel trips.