COSTA RICA ECOTOURISM
Costa Rica offers something for every wildlife traveler. In this Central American paradise, you can choose from volunteer trips to work with animals like sea turtles or jaguars or explore the incomparable Osa Peninsula.
Why Ecotourism in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is one of the birthplaces of ecotourism with its huge numbers of species, great system of protected areas, and tourism infrastructure. Here’s why:
- Its safe! There is a stable government, strong police presence, and friendly people.
- Incredible wildlife: 25% of the country is protected including national parks, protected areas, and wildlife refuges. The Costa Rican Institute of Biodiversity estimates that the country has 4-5% of the world’s biodiversity.
- Great health care: The country has a good system of health clinics and hospitals.
- Scientific research: Many leading biological research stations have facilities here and many programs train budding biologists and conservationists.
- Good infrastructure: Costa Rica has a great system of buses, the roads are in good shape (or improving), and there are options for accommodations from rustic to luxury.